There are teacher friends and then there are all of your other friends.
Your teacher friends are the ones who can commiserate with you and understand that commiserating does not mean that you hate your job. In fact, they know that you love teaching and wouldn't do anything else but they understand the stresses of teacher life, useless meetings, burnout and the times of year where it feels like summer will never come. The rest of your friends, well they're the ones who are quick to remind you that you have the entire summer off so "no complaints".
That's when you go back to your teacher friends and laugh.
But, let's get serious for a minute.
I just finished my tenth year teaching and it wasn't the easiest of school years. But almost as soon as the school doors open and the kiddos rush out for the summer and you're finally ready to enjoy the sun, you start thinking about the next school year. This summer, however, I haven't been able to allow myself to work on anything. I'm totally and entirely burned out. Every part of my being is tired. I'm exhausted. And that means that I'm sitting here in mid-July beginning to freak out slightly because I'm teaching three new courses next year and I have nothing planned, researched or completed! So let's talk about this wonderfully long summer vacation:
- Hey teacher friend at a week-long Professional Development session. Enjoy the vacay!
- Hey teacher friend teaching summer school. Enjoy the vacay!
- Hey teacher friend grabbing another job or two to make ends meet. Enjoy the vacay!
- Hey teacher friend who has been planning for the 2019-2020 school year every day of your break, enjoy the vacay!
- Hey teacher friend who spent the first week of your break writing report card comments and grading high school finals, enjoy the vacay!
- Hey teacher friend who spent the week after counseling parents and students about why they got the grade they got, enjoy the vacay!
- Hey teacher friend that's busy writing a 20-page syllabus so that your course is approved by the College Board. Enjoy the vacay!
- Hey teacher friend who is redecorating their classroom by walking into the building on a sweltering summer day. Enjoy the vacay!
- Hey teacher friend at a training seminar. Enjoy the vacay!
- Hey teacher friend ... please don't forget to take that vacation, enjoy your family and your friends, have that BBQ and pool time and know that those 10+ hour school days are around the corner.